GD&T Instructor and Consultant
Sigmetrix has been helping companies produce better products for over 20 years through a combination of software solutions, training, and consulting services that focus on managing the impact of mechanical variation.
NOTE: This job description represents a summary of the typical functions of the job and is not considered to be an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined specifically in the job description; other duties, as assigned, will become part of the job.
It is the policy of the company to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment and not to engage in discrimination against or harassment of any persons employed or seeking employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender , gender expression , gender identity , pregnancy , physical or mental disability, medical condition (cancer‐related or genetic characteristics), genetic information (including family medical history), ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, or service in the uniformed services (as defined by the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994) as well as state military and naval service. This policy applies to all employment practices, including recruitment, selection, promotion, transfer, merit increase, salary, training and development, demotion, and separation.
Sigmetrix is seeking a Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) Instructor and Consultant to effectively convey the principles of the application and interpretation of GD&T on engineering drawings and models. The ideal candidate will possess an expertise in the language and application of GD&T, an understanding of the impacts of Design for Assembly (DFA) and Design for Manufacture (DFM), and familiarity with common manufacturing and inspection practices.
The consulting portion of this role requires the individual to develop professional connections with a client’s team quickly the ideal candidate will therefore have a positive attitude, self-confidence, subject expertise, and an ability to identify and leverage transferrable skills and knowledge from one’s experience for use on potentially new or unfamiliar products.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Effectively teach GD&T interpretation (reading) and application (writing) to students using Sigmetrix training materials
- Maintain students’ attention and ensure comprehension
- Demonstrate concepts using teaching props (e.g., physical models, customer parts)
- Assess students’ competence through in-class interactions
- Guide self-assessment quizzes and application practice
- Successfully utilize web-based collaboration software for virtual classes
- Assist with the development of new materials and enhancements to existing content
- Review and markup customer drawings or annotated models for compliance with applicable GD&T Standards
- Apply functional GD&T to customer parts and assemblies
- Coach and mentor customer employees in Dimensional Management practices; ability to confidently answer questions and provide guidance
- Discuss inter-functional impacts of GD&T application (Design vs. Manufacture vs. Inspection)
- Facilitate cross-functional customer definition reviews
- Travel up to 50% of the time, primarily domestic
- All other duties as assigned for the successful execution and/or completion of various projects whether or not specifically assigned
- Dynamic & engaging presentation skills to help students understand and appreciate GD&T, a subject that can be a difficult for many to learn and which can often appear “dry” or “boring”
- 5+ years of design experience using GD&T in accordance with ASME Y14.5-2009 or ASME Y14.5-2018 (additional Manufacturing or Inspection experience is a plus)
- Excellent face-to-face interpersonal communication
- Prolific/dynamic public speaking ability
- Functional understanding of design impacts for:
- common manufacturing processes
- common inspection processes and techniques
- Ability to explain and demonstrate manual inspection techniques for geometric tolerances
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Demonstrated proficiency in a 3D CAD Software, most notably CATIA, Autodesk Inventor, PTC Creo, SOLIDWORKS, and/or Siemens NX
- Demonstrated experience with tolerance analysis in a design context
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology or related field preferred (other similar degrees will be considered pending experience)
- As a customer-facing role, the ability and willingness to meet our clients’ policies and protocols per their corporate policies for required on-site engagements
- Strives for 100% client satisfaction
Optional Experience and Knowledge
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Professional: Senior Certification
- Experience working with ISO Geometric Product Specifications (GPS)
- Manufacturing and/or Inspection experience
- 3D tolerance analysis experience
- Understanding and application of Model-Based Definition (MBD)
- Bilingual preferred (read, write, and speak Spanish)
Competitive salary, generous benefits package, and flexible, casual environment. This position is exempt. Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. View our website at www.sigmetrix.com.