GD&T Training Courses
Our GD&T training courses teach the concepts, rules and language of GD&T. We teach GD&T from a functional viewpoint, discussing the topics from the point-of-view of application to real world problems.
Our GD&T training courses may be based on ASME standards (ASME Y14.5M-1994, Y14.5-2009) or on ISO standards (ISO 1101, ISO 5459, etc.). All of our Tolerance Analysis and GD&T Training courses are coordinated, as our goal is for your staff to design such that geometric problems are not built into your products, your manufacturing and inspection staff clearly understands the geometric requirements, and your assembly and service personnel are provided parts that fit together and are interchangeable. The language of GD&T and tolerance analysis methods are needed to achieve these goals. We take GD&T seriously. We take your time seriously. We take your success seriously.
Level 1 GD&T Fundamentals Course [20 hours]
A thorough and rigorous treatment of the system of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing concepts, rules, legal implications, tools and techniques are presented in detail from design, inspection, and concurrent engineering points of view. (ASME or ISO GD&T)
- Understand shortcomings of +/- dimensioning and tolerancing and how GD&T eliminates these deficiencies
- Introduction to functional dimensioning and tolerancing
- Detailed explanation of datums and datum reference frames
- Start with GD&T rules and simple concepts and build up to system level
- Features, features of size, geometric tolerances and tolerance zones are covered in detail
- Leads to a thorough understanding of GD&T basics
- Presented from design, manufacturing, quality, inspection, and assembly points of view
Level 2 GD&T Applications Course [20 hours]
Covers the more advanced topics, application issues, pros and cons of alternate strategies, effects on downstream processes and the supply chain, and includes many application-based exercises. (ASME or ISO GD&T)
- Application and implications of Functional Dimensioning and Tolerancing schemes
- How to apply GD&T functionally to parts and mating parts in assemblies
- Composite tolerancing
- Understanding alternative strategies for tolerancing and managing variation
- Pros, cons and tradeoffs of the alternatives on downstream operations such as manufacturing and inspection, and cost implications of the above
Level 3 Advanced GD&T Course [20 hours]
Advanced topics, problems and challenges in Dimensioning and Tolerancing, advanced feature types and tolerancing techniques, challenges in metrology, mathematical concepts, effects on Tolerance Stackups, mating part applications, and optional strategies. (ASME)
- Implications on downstream processes including manufacturing, inspection, assembly, service, & supply chain
- Deeper understanding of GD&T and its business implications, tradeoffs and pros and cons of different approaches
- Advanced GD&T tools and methods
- Alternate strategies for managing more complex geometry
- Deeper discussion of CAD model geometry and its role in product definition and GD&T
- Extending and adapting GD&T methods for your products
- In-depth discussion of your products, drawings, models, & processes
Level 4 Tolerance Analysis Course [20 hours]
Understand how to calculate and manage variation and its implications on product performance. (ASME or ISO GD&T)
- Explanation, comparison and calculation of worst-case and statistical techniques
- How to perform stackups with +\- and GD&T
- Address assemblability, fit, maintaining clearance, ensuring contact, maintaining wall thickness & machining stock, alignment
- Compare dimensioning & tolerancing & design strategies
- Methods to model geometric variation from dimensions and tolerances, GD&T, and assembly processes
- Understand sources of variation and its effects on assemblies
- Assembly modeling process, determining if the design, GD&T, and assembly process will yield acceptable results
- How to correct geometry problems found through analysis
- Understand, calculate, and model the cumulative variation
- Know if the design and GD&T specified leads to parts and assemblies that will meet their intended requirements
GD&T Overview Course [8 hours]
Overview of core topics of GD&T fundamentals.
- Why GD&T is needed and how it differs from +/-
- Plus and minus deficiencies
- Features and features of size
- GD&T rules
- Legal issues relating to drawings and models
- Datums, datum features, datum reference frames
- Understanding form, size, orientation, and location, and
- Overview of geometric tolerancing
- Discuss GD&T and its implications on purchasing, supply chain, inspection requirements, and other business issues
ISO vs. ASME GD&T Practices Workshop [8-16 hours]
Comparison of the ISO GPS and ASME Y14.5 GD&T systems and differences in their philosophy. Comparison of symbology, terminology, tools, techniques, and implications of these on defining functional requirements and downstream processes.
Understanding Engineering Drawings (Print Reading) Workshop [16 hours]
Focuses on ASME and AWS standards and rules for reading and interpreting 2D engineering drawings.
- Drawing elements including border and format, lines and line types, lettering, views and sections, dimensioning and tolerancing, other annotation, revisions, symbology, legends, notes, types of drawings, treads, welding symbols, surface texture symbols, tables, etc. Drawing elements including border and format, lines and line types, lettering, views and sections, dimensioning and tolerancing, other annotation, revisions, symbology, legends, notes, types of drawings, treads, welding symbols, surface texture symbols, tables, etc.
- Discussion of client’s drawings, supplier drawings, client’s products, processes, standards, concerns and challenges, etc.
GD&T Certification Preparation Seminar [8-16 hours]
Preparation for taking ASME’s GD&T Professional Certification Exams. Includes discussions of exam contents and structure, review of core concepts and terms, and study techniques for passing the exams. Recommend prerequisite of prior completion of our GD&T Level I Course. Sample exam included with Seminar.
Dimensional Management Workshops [8 hours]
Business and implementation strategies for GD&T and tolerance analysis.
- Dimensional management principles
- Implementation strategies and reviews
- Timing of activities and reviews
- Participation by various groups, roles of participants, documentation requirements, feedback loops
- Discussion of implementation for your projects in your environment
- How to include dimensional management and how it will affect your customers and suppliers
Functional Dimensioning and Tolerancing Workshop: Plus and Minus [8-16 hours]
Overview and Introduction to Functional Dimensioning and Tolerancing using Plus and Minus Dimensioning and Tolerancing only.
- Covers Mating part strategies, arrangement of dimensions, dimensioning and tolerancing strategies, issues with Plus and Minus Dimensioning and Tolerancing, minimizing Tolerance Accumulation between related features, Assembly strategies, Fixed and Floating Fastener Calculations, etc.
Functional Dimensioning and Tolerancing Workshop: GD&T [8-16 hours]
Overview and Introduction to Functional Dimensioning and Tolerancing using GD&T and Plus and Minus.
- Covers Mating part strategies, Datum Reference Frame selection, Dimensioning and Tolerancing strategies, implications of material condition modifiers, minimizing Tolerance Accumulation between related features, Assembly strategies, Fixed and Floating Fastener Calculations, etc.
Get a Quote for GD&T Training Courses or Contact Sigmetrix at email@example.com