GD&T Training Courses
Our GD&T training courses teach the concepts, rules and language of GD&T. We teach GD&T from a functional viewpoint, discussing the topics from the point-of-view of application to real world problems.
Our GD&T training courses may be based on ASME standards (ASME Y14.5M-1994, Y14.5-2009) or on ISO standards (ISO 1101, ISO 5459, etc.). All of our Tolerance Analysis and GD&T Training courses are coordinated, as our goal is for your staff to design such that geometric problems are not built into your products, your manufacturing and inspection staff clearly understands the geometric requirements, and your assembly and service personnel are provided parts that fit together and are interchangeable. The language of GD&T and tolerance analysis methods are needed to achieve these goals. We take GD&T seriously. We take your time seriously. We take your success seriously.
Level 1 GD&T Fundamentals Course [20 hours]
A thorough and rigorous treatment of the system of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing concepts, rules, legal implications, tools and techniques are presented in detail from design, inspection, and concurrent engineering points of view. (ASME or ISO GD&T)
- Understand shortcomings of +/- dimensioning and tolerancing and how GD&T eliminates these deficiencies
- Introduction to functional dimensioning and tolerancing
- Detailed explanation of datums and datum reference frames
- Start with GD&T rules and simple concepts and build up to system level
- Features, features of size, geometric tolerances and tolerance zones are covered in detail
- Leads to a thorough understanding of GD&T basics
- Presented from design, manufacturing, quality, inspection, and assembly points of view
Level 1 GD&T Fundamentals Course [Computer-Based, Self-Paced]
Learn the fundamentals of GD&T at your own pace. This brand new computer-based course allows students to go through the same curriculum as our Level 1 course through a combination of videos and slides along with quizzes and tests. (ASME)
- There are 21 units including introduction that cover the major concepts in GD&T. Each unit is from 10 to 60 minutes in length depending on the concepts covered and the student’s pace.
- Intuitive user portal contains all of the content in one window.
- Mobile app for iOS and Android allows users to save courses and take them offline.
- Quizzes at the end of modules allow students to ascertain their grasp of the concepts and revisit material when needed.
Level 2 GD&T Applications Course [20 hours]
Covers the more advanced topics, application issues, pros and cons of alternate strategies, effects on downstream processes and the supply chain, and includes many application-based exercises. (ASME or ISO GD&T)
- Application and implications of Functional Dimensioning and Tolerancing schemes
- How to apply GD&T functionally to parts and mating parts in assemblies
- Composite tolerancing
- Understanding alternative strategies for tolerancing and managing variation
- Pros, cons and tradeoffs of the alternatives on downstream operations such as manufacturing and inspection, and cost implications of the above
Level 3 Advanced GD&T Course [20 hours]
Advanced topics, problems and challenges in Dimensioning and Tolerancing, advanced feature types and tolerancing techniques, challenges in metrology, mathematical concepts, effects on Tolerance Stackups, mating part applications, and optional strategies. (ASME)
- Implications on downstream processes including manufacturing, inspection, assembly, service, & supply chain
- Deeper understanding of GD&T and its business implications, tradeoffs and pros and cons of different approaches
- Advanced GD&T tools and methods
- Alternate strategies for managing more complex geometry
- Deeper discussion of CAD model geometry and its role in product definition and GD&T
- Extending and adapting GD&T methods for your products
- In-depth discussion of your products, drawings, models, & processes
Comprehensive GD&T Course [32 hours]
This course combines the content of the Level 1, 2, and 3 classes in a way which allows the user to easily grasp the connections intended throughout the GD&T language. Starting with most basic concepts and rules, the class works through the GD&T language and its application from a functional, user-friendly standpoint. The content is arranged with a focus on maintaining the communication of functional intent captured in engineering documentation between Designers, Manufacturing Engineers, Machinists, Quality Engineers, Inspectors, and Supply Chain personnel. Students practice with each new piece of material using a mix of vocabulary and application-based exercises throughout. During the class students will:
- Realize the shortcomings of +/- tolerances and the advantages of using GD&T
- Understand and apply functional dimensioning and tolerancing
- Gain an in-depth knowledge of datums, constraint, datum reference frames, and coordinate systems
- Appreciate and address the concerns of design, manufacturing, quality, inspection, and assembly
- Achieve a thorough understanding of GD&T as a system and language
Fundamentals of Tolerance Analysis Course – GD&T Version [2 Days]
The Tolerance Analysis Training Course will help you understand how to calculate and manage variation and its implications on product performance. (ASME or ISO GD&T)
- Explanation, comparison and calculation of worst-case and statistical techniques
- How to perform stackups with +\- and GD&T
- Address assemblability, fit, maintaining clearance, ensuring contact, maintaining wall thickness & machining stock, alignment
- Compare dimensioning & tolerancing & design strategies
- Methods to model geometric variation from dimensions and tolerances, GD&T, and assembly processes
- Understand sources of variation and its effects on assemblies
- Assembly modeling process, determining if the design, GD&T, and assembly process will yield acceptable results
- How to correct geometry problems found through analysis
- Understand, calculate, and model the cumulative variation
- Know if the design and GD&T specified leads to parts and assemblies that will meet their intended requirements
GD&T Overview Course [2 hours]
Overview of core topics of GD&T fundamentals.
- Why GD&T is needed and how it differs from +/-
- Plus and minus deficiencies
- Features and features of size
- GD&T rules
- Legal issues relating to drawings and models
- Datums, datum features, datum reference frames
- Understanding form, size, orientation, and location, and
- Overview of geometric tolerancing
- Discuss GD&T and its implications on purchasing, supply chain, inspection requirements, and other business issues
ISO GPS vs ASME GD&T Comparison [2 hours]
Comparison of the ISO GPS and ASME Y14.5 GD&T systems and differences in their philosophy. Comparison of symbology, terminology, tools, techniques, and implications of these on defining functional requirements and downstream processes.
ASME Y14.5-2018 GD&T Update Course [2 hours]
The latest ASME Y14.5-2018 Standard contains many clarifications and improvements. This course highlights the most significant of these changes and provides answers to your questions on new, changed, and deleted content as compared to the previous revision (ASME Y14.5-2009). It is recommended for design, mechanical, manufacturing, quality, process and project engineers, CAD specialists, and inspectors. Two options are available for attending this instructor-led class: virtually (online) or in conjunction with our Level 2 class or equivalent.
GD&T Certification Preparation Seminar – ASME Y14.5-1994 [8-16 hours]
Preparation for taking ASME’s GD&T Professional Certification Exams. Includes discussions of exam contents and structure, review of core concepts and terms, and study techniques for passing the exams. Recommend prerequisite of prior completion of our GD&T Level I Course. Sample exam included with Seminar.